According to statistics from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the number of fatal commercial truck accidents that occur each year is just under 5,000 and that number continues to increase. Thousands of more victims are left with serious and catastrophic injuries. As the country continues to rely more and more on tractor-trailers for commerce delivery, the number of crashes will continue to rise.
When a victim is injured or killed in a commercial truck crash, the effect on the entire family can be devastating. High medical bills, loss of income from being unable to work, pain and suffering, and other losses all add up to overwhelming physical, emotional, and financial damages that the at-fault party can be held liable for.
- Truck Accident Statute of Limitations
- Iowa Father and Son Killed in Winchester Truck Accident
- Five Truck Driver Safety Issues That Cause Big Rig Crashes
In many crashes, it is the trucking company’s insurance company who will be financially responsible for paying any compensation the victim is entitled to. And despite what they may claim, the last person whose best interest they have at heart is the victim’s. Insurance companies are in business to make a profit and any money they have to pay out cuts into that profit. This is why victims and their families should retain the services of a Virginia truck accident attorney for help.
Having a seasoned Virginia truck accident attorney advocating for you provides the following benefits:
- Experience: Most victims are not familiar with the long-term ramifications – both physical and financial – that serious and fatal injuries have. This makes it very easy for insurance companies to take advantage of them. A skilled attorney has extensive experience in calculating and determining what the present and future losses are for their clients.
- Time: When a victim has been seriously injured, they need to focus on rest, rehabilitation, and recovery. Having to deal with the legalities of a truck accident injury claim or lawsuit takes a lot of time, especially if you are unfamiliar with the law. A Virginia truck accident attorney will be able to handle all the legal aspects of the case, allowing you to deal with your injuries.
- Negotiation: Many truck accident lawsuits end up being settled before they ever reach trial. A Virginia truck accident attorney from our firm offers extensive experience and skill in negotiating with large insurance companies and their attorneys and will obtain a higher settlement amount than a victim would if they tried negotiating themselves.
Contact a Virginia Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, contact a Virginia truck accident attorney to discuss what legal recourse you may have against the responsible party or parties. The legal team from Shapiro & Appleton has successfully advocated for many truck accident victims and their families and we understand how complicated these cases can be. Our attorneys are available to meet and discuss the details of your case and how we may be able to help.
For more information about truck accidents in Virginia, please download our free guide.