If you or a family member has been seriously injured in a truck accident, you have now become part of an alarming statistic. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the number of fatal truck accidents continues to increase each year. In the latest data released by the federal agency, the number of fatal accidents increased from 4,251 deaths in 2016 to 4,657 deaths in 2017, an increase of 10 percent. Thousands more victims suffered serious and catastrophic injuries. These numbers show that although the number of commercial trucks on the roads continues to increase each year, the numbers of truck crashes are increasing even more.
- One Way to Avoid N.C. Truck Accidents: Drive Like a Truck Driver
- Conducting a Truck Accident Investigation
- Wrecks Due to Sleeping Truck Drivers Raise Concern
The FMCSA requires all commercial trucking companies carry significant amounts of liability insurance in the event of a crash, enabling victims of truck accidents to pursue financial compensation for any losses they suffer because of their injuries.
Why You Should all a Virginia Truck Accident Attorney
A victim may think that since the trucking company has liability insurance, they will not need to have a truck accident attorney to make sure they get the compensation they deserve. However, as many of our clients can attest, this is exactly when you need an attorney. When you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, your family can be impacted both emotionally and financially. There are often thousands of dollars in medical bills, as well as lost income from being unable to work because of the injuries.
Many truck accident insurance companies take advantage of this vulnerable state and offer insurance settlements which are much lower than what the victims should receive. Having a truck accident attorney advocating for you can ensure the following:
- A level playing field: The majority of victims do not have the medical and vocational background to understand the real and long-term impact their injuries will have and what the financial cost of that impact is. The insurance company does, however, and will take try to take advantage of that fact. But a Virginia truck accident attorney also has extensive knowledge and experience when it comes to the financial compensation a victim deserves.
- Knowing the full extent of the injuries: It can take months before the victim and their doctors understand the full impact their injuries will have on their life. What types of treatments the victim needs, how long these treatments will last, how long recovery will take, and whether there will be any long-term or permanent disabilities the victim will be left with are all questions that can take months to answer. Many insurance companies will try to settle quickly before these answers are known. The problem for the victim is if they settle and then find out later on that their injuries are more severe than first thought, they cannot pursue additional damages. Having a seasoned Virginia truck accident attorney representing you will ensure that all necessary medical information and other documentation for future expenses will be known before negotiating any settlement offer from the insurance company.
Let a Virginia Truck Accident Attorney Help You
A Virginia truck accident attorney from Shapiro & Appleton will ensure that you receive the best possible financial outcome based on the circumstances of your case. Our legal team will work with medical and vocational experts to determine the extent of your injuries. We will work to negotiate a fair and just settlement for you, but will not hesitate to pursue litigation if the insurance company fails to negotiate in good faith. Contact our office today for a free and confidential case evaluation.